Thursday, December 22, 2011

Tubes


Yesterday was one of those days that involved getting a tube put down my throat.  Not necessarily the best of days, but if we limit the category of days to those involving tube insertion, it wasn’t so bad.  The most difficult part was the fasting beforehand.  For most people not eating after midnight isn’t really a problem, but for me it presents some difficulties.  Chicken bullion is unfortunately just as filling a dinner as you would think.  

Once I got there, the prep stuff went smoothly.  Due to the events of this year, I have gotten pretty familiar with seeing all the monitoring devices that they use, but this was the first time they were attached to me.  I was a bit concerned about one of the numbers and graphs on the screen fluctuating wildly, as I’m unaware of that ever being a good thing, but it turned out just to be a defective respiratory rate detector.  I don’t recall too much of the actual procedure, an UGI endoscopy.  Since it was well past my bed time, the sedatives didn’t have too much work to do to knock me out.  I spent a while recovering in the recovery room and about as long waiting for the doctor to show up, and then I was on my way.

The results of the test ended up in the happy medium between “we couldn’t find anything wrong with you” and “invasive surgery here we come.” Pending biopsies, it turns everything is just significantly inflamed; I developed a nice collection of itises.  So I get to take an otc pill twice a day and perhaps not ignore the suggested dietary restrictions quite as much, but everything does appear to be capable of healing on its own.  Though they did seem a bit concerned that I was only 29 and having this much inflammation.

After I was done I ate some food, wobbled home*, and slept for some large amount of hours.  Now my sister’s here to visit and I can go back to staring longingly at the ipad shaped box that Becky wrapped up for me.

* Becky and I weren’t sure which one us should use her cane

Merry Christmakah

No comments:

Post a Comment