Sunday, December 11, 2011

Fifteen Percent Paycut

If all goes to plan, I'll be getting a 15% pay cut in about a month! I'm really excited about this.  I'm not actually being sarcastic here.*  I'm legitimately happy about it.  Well, not about the pay cut itself, but the reason for it, which that I get to go back to normal people hours. 

*This isn't to say this blog will not use sarcasm in unhealthy doses.  It might just be easier to assume that I never quite mean what I say, and be pleasantly surprised when I do.*

*Note style stolen shamelessly from Joe Posnanski.

For the last ten months or I've been working roughly 9:00/9:30-5:30.  This may not seem especially strange except that the PM goes with the 9 and the AM with the 5:30.  Thus, I've been on Honk Kong time, which isn't especially convenient when living in Boston.  Soon I'll be able to actually spend time with my wife while she is awake, do things on weekends, sleep when it is dark, and get lunch from places that don't have chicken from a General on the menu*.

*Like say nondescript vans.  mmmm van food. 

That isn't to say there won't be things that I will miss besides the extra dinero.  I'll have to deal with my arch nemesis mornings again, and I'm not especially looking forward to that.  It is likewise nice to never have to deal with rush hour, a dress code, or people walking up behind me at work.  There is actually a number of unexpected advantages and disadvantages of working weird hours.  I'll have to get into them all at some point.

*The nightshift dress code is to make sure you have pants on before the early shift comes in. 

Let's see what else is new.  Oh, I decided to start a blog.  See it says so right in the url.  There are a couple of main reasons for this development.

One is that I generally do a miserable job with keeping people updated to my life status. Thus, many of you may not know that I'm switching back to days, or that I currently work nights, or that I got married, or moved to Boston, or survived the rough and tumble world of 2nd grade.  I would like to do better.

The other reason is that I feel like I spend way too much time consuming and way too little producing.  It is isn't that I don't have things to say or ideas worth exploring, I just all too often fall into the passive activity of clicking and reading.  It makes me feel unproductive and unaccomplished.  I'd like to get that ratio more balanced.

I don't know that I'll be successful.  After all I didn't decide to start a blog today.  I decided to start a blog a while ago, actually created it a few days ago, and wrote in it today.   I figure it's a start at least.






No comments:

Post a Comment