Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Morality


I had an argument once, in London, with a temporary roommate of mine.  Is it more challenging to base one's morality fully on what a book said or to make up a moral system on your own?  I thought he got off easy not having to figure out what he actually felt mattered.  He, on the other hand, believed that I shouldn't have any difficulty as I can make up anything I wanted.

In a sense he was right as there is really isn't objective about my moral system.   That doesn't mean I haven't spent a lot of time thinking about it though.  I have come up with three basic tenants in rough order of importance.

1.  Life is good. 

2.  Everyone deserved a minimum level of rights.

3.  Do the most good for the most people.

That's it really.  Everything else derives from those core beliefs.  Of course my interpretations of those three items and how much value I give to each of them is not necessarily simple or universally agreed upon

Some people fundamentally disagree with my beliefs, but many I have encountered just haven't considered things from my perspective .  A lot of this my fault, as I tend to do a better job listening than talking.  So this is my first attempt at putting my beliefs out there for anyone who wishes to understand them.*  I'm not trying to argue, though I don't mind that either as long as you are good at it or entertaining,

*And at being self indulgent.  Okay this is my 3,456,234 attempt at being self indulgent.  

No comments:

Post a Comment